In Canvas, an instructor can create chapters in a streaming video. Chapters allow students to easily view specific topics from particular segments of a video.
LOGIN TO CANVAS COURSE
- Login to your Canvas course.
- Click My Media in the left-hand navigation for the Canvas course.
- In the listing of videos included in My Media, click on the Edit button to the right of the video you wish to segment into chapters.
SELECT TIMELINE OPTION
- In the window showing the edit options, click the Timeline tab.
SELECT A CHAPTER START TIME
- In the playback interface, click the play button to start the video. Then click pause at the point where a chapter marker should begin.
NAME & DESCRIBE THE CHAPTER
- Click on the chapter icon to the left of the timeline bar.
- In the dialog box, enter a chapter title below Chapter Information.
- Then enter a chapter description (optional).
- Click on the blue Save button to register your chapter marker.
- When creating the next chapter, you may need to use the cursor to move the video forward or backward, and then click play. Otherwise, the red vertical time line, as shown above, might not move forward.
- If you have not already done so, make sure to publish the video to the MEDIA GALLERY for the course. Instructions for publishing video can be found in the following article:
PLAY A CHAPTER
Click on the horizontal lines on the upper left corner of the video image to open the list of chapters that have been created. Then select a chapter title to skip to that segment of the video.
TLT recommends that students read the following tutorial: