As an instructor who has imported content from a pre-existing course into a new semester's version of the course, you have already had to re-create any student groups that are associated with group-based assignments or discussions.
From the instructions in the article "How to Fix Imported Group Assignments in a Canvas Course," you may have selected the option to allow students to Self Sign-Up for groups. If so, you should walk the students through the steps to "self sign-up." Copy and Paste into any group-based assignment or discussion the instructions below so that students have ready access to the steps required to "self sign-up" for a group or groups.
COPY & PASTE THESE INSTRUCTIONS TO STUDENTS
TO JOIN A GROUP:
- In the left-hand navigation for your Canvas course, click the option PEOPLE.
- Then in the window that opens, click the option at the top labeled GROUPS.
- Find the group you want to join for a group-based assignment or discussion.
- Click JOIN.
- Your view will now look like this (with an option to LEAVE a group).
- You can immediately navigate to that group's main page by clicking the option VISIT.