To add video to a Discussion in a Canvas course, you have three options. This article discusses OPTION 2-UPLOAD A PRE-EXISTING VIDEO TO MY MEDIA. The other two options have links at the end of this article.
BEGIN YOUR REPLY
In your Canvas discussion, click the REPLY button that appears either below the discussion topic or below another student’s response.
The standard Canvas content editing tool bar appears. Click on the "filmstrip" icon.
- A window will open labeled with "Embed Kaltura Media."
- In the upper right is a button labeled ADD NEW. Click it.
- A drop down menu contains several options:
- Select the option MEDIA UPLOAD.
- FYI: At the end of uploading files, you will return to the window, "Embed Kaltura Media."
UPLOAD YOUR MEDIA
After clicking the option MEDIA UPLOAD, a window appears asking you to choose a file to upload.
- Click the button +Choose a file to Upload.
Your computer's hard drive contents are displayed (in whichever manner your Macintosh or Windows-based computer is set up). Navigate to your video file and choose it for upload.
- A progress bar indicates the time to upload the file you selected.
- A confirmation, "Upload Completed" is indicated
- The Name of the file is required, but should already be filled in. Alter the name if needed.
- The Description is optional.
- You may want to add a Tag that indicates which Canvas course in which you are using the uploaded video.
- Do NOT click the SAVE button.
- Instead click the text "BACK TO BROWSE AND EMBED."
Give the system a few seconds to add the video file to your personal collection of media in My Media. The My Media window that lists your content appears, with your uploaded file at the top of the list.
POST YOUR VIDEO REPLY
- To the right of a video you want to add to a Discussion topic, you have two selection choices:
- Click the word SELECT and that file, in its existing size and quality, is added to your Discussion topic.
- Click the Downward Pointing Arrow next to the word SELECT and choose a different size for the video you are adding to a Discussion topic: LARGE | MEDIUM | SMALL.
- You are returned to the editing functions for your Discussion topic. After a moment, a representation of your video file appears. Don't worry that the video's thumbnail is not showing.
- In the lower right, click the button POST REPLY.
- Your video is now inserted into your Discussion Reply.
You have two other options for adding a video to a Discussion. Use the following links.
If you already have videos in your My Media collection, you can simply select a file and it will be added in your reply to a discussion topic. (Learn more about My Media.)
Record a video "just-in-time" to reply to a discussion topic. This method uses a Flash-based Webcam Recording Tool that does not require you to install any third-party apps.
You may also be interested in some other recording options, namely screen recording, combination screen + webcam recording, as well as voice recording. Read the following article on how to use these features: