To add video to a Discussion in a Canvas course, you have three options. This article discusses OPTION 3-WEBCAM RECORDING. The other two options have links at the end of this article.
BEGIN YOUR REPLY
In your Canvas discussion, click the REPLY button that appears either below the discussion topic or below another student’s response.
The standard Canvas content editing tool bar appears. Click on the "filmstrip" icon.
- A window will open labeled with "Embed Kaltura Media."
- In the upper right is a button labeled ADD NEW. Click it.
- A drop down menu contains several options:
- Select the option WEBCAM RECORDING to record a "just-in-time" video recording from your computer's built-in camera.
- FYI: At the end of your recording session, you will return to this window, "Embed Kaltura Media."
RECORD FROM YOUR WEBCAM
After clicking the option WEBCAM RECORDING, you are asked to allow the recording tool to access your computer's camera and microphone.
- Click the GREEN CHECK MARK for ALLOW.
Your camera and microphone will activate in a window labeled "Record from Webcam."
- Click anywhere on the video window to begin recording.
- To stop recording, click anywhere on the video window.
- In the lower portion of the video window, you will see a progress bar indicating how far the video has been processed.
- When the progress bar is full, click the SAVE button just to the left.
- NOTE: If you want to cancel your recording and start over, just click the RED RECORDING DOT to the right of the SAVE button.
DESCRIBE YOUR RECORDED VIDEO
Give the system a few seconds to save your video file. The window will alert you when the video recording has been uploaded.
- In the lower portions of the window, describe your recorded video.
- Fill in a title or Name for the video file (required).
- Description information is optional.
- Tags are optional, but you may want to enter the number of your Canvas course.
- Do NOT click the SAVE button.
- After entering the file name, click the text BACK TO BROWSE AND EMBED.
POST YOUR VIDEO REPLY
You are returned to the window labeled "Embed Kaltura Media." It may take a few seconds or minute for your recorded video to appear at the top of the list of videos.
- When your recorded video appears, to its right you have two selection choices:
- Click the word SELECT and that file, in its existing size and quality, is added to your Discussion topic.
- Click the Downward Pointing Arrow next to the word SELECT and choose a different size for the video you are adding to a Discussion topic: LARGE | MEDIUM | SMALL.
At this point you are returned to the Canvas content editing tool bar with your video.
- Click the red button POST REPLY in the lower right.
After clicking POST REPLY you are returned to the Canvas discussion thread and your video appears as a reply to the discussion topic.
You have two other options for adding a video to a Discussion. Use the following links.
If you already have videos in your My Media collection, you can simply select a file and it will be added in your reply to a discussion topic. (Learn more about My Media.)
Upload a pre-existing video stored elsewhere or on your hard drive, and select it to add to your reply in a discussion assignment.
You may also be interested in some other recording options, namely screen recording, combination screen + webcam recording, as well as voice recording. Read the following article on how to use these features: