WHAT IS THE KALTURA CAPTURESPACE DESKTOP RECORDER?
A set of tools from the video platform company Kaltura is integrated into the University of Utah's Canvas learning management system or can be used independently from Canvas as a standalone application on your computer.
The tool set is called the Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder and offers four options:
- Screen Recording
Record an entire screen or part of a screen.
- Webcam Recording
Tell a story or personal profile through a short clip using a webcam.
- Screen + Webcam Recording
In a single shoot, record from both the screen and a webcam.
- Voice Recording
Record only your voice.
With these tools, instructors and students can create, upload, clip, manage, publish and deliver high quality video. They can post video assignments and incorporate videos into tests, announcements, blogs, discussions, and feedback.
FIRST TIME INSTALLATION OF THE KALTURA CAPTURESPACE DESKTOP RECORDER
If you have never used the Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder functions before, you must first install the application. This is a one time procedure.
One of the best ways to access the Kaltura Desktop Recorder is by using your personal media collection called MY MEDIA. From a Canvas course, use the left-hand navigation features and select MY MEDIA from the various components for your course.
A window appears displaying the content items that are part of your personal collection in MY MEDIA.
In the upper right, select the drop down menu ADD NEW.
The Kaltura Desktop Recorder recording tools appear under the option MORE RECORDING APPS:
- Select MORE RECORDING APPS
- The system realizes you have not yet downloaded the application for the Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder. You are automatically presented with a window that gives you the option to download either a Windows-based or Macintosh-based version of the software.
- Select the option best for you and follow any download instructions.
- Once installed, return to the ADD NEW button and re-select MORE RECORDING APPS from the drop down menu.
- You may receive a security warning message, but go ahead and accept the application as trustworthy.
- The four recording options for the Desktop Recorder now appear in a floating window on your desktop. Select your activity of choice and follow the on-screen instructions.
A video from Kaltura reviews the steps for the Kaltura CaptureSpace Installation:
HOW TO USE THE DESKTOP RECORDER
Several articles provide instructions on how to actually use the Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder. Use the following links to information articles: