As an instructor managing a Canvas course, it is very common to add a video to a module page for your students to view. This article assumes that the video you would like to add is presently on your computer's hard drive or some other storage option. You need to transfer it from your personal storage to the Canvas course and your module page.
A video cannot be added to a module without first adding pages, assignments, discussions, etc. to that module. Then your video can be uploaded and inserted into a Page.
The first two sections of the following instructions review how to ADD A MODULE and ADD A PAGE in your course. Naturally, you may already have a module page created and ready for a video to be added. Just skip sections 1 & 2, and read on.
The basic steps you will take are:
- Create a Module in your Course (if not already created).
- Create a Page in your Module (if not already created).
- Begin editing or writing the Page.
- Upload your Video to your MY MEDIA personal media repository in Canvas.
- Select the Video to add to your Page.
- Finish composing the Page and Save.
- Don't forget to Publish all your Modules/Pages/Learning Activities so the course is available to your students.
1. CREATE A MODULE IN YOUR COURSE
If you haven't already created the Module that will contain your video, create a new Module.
- In the course you are authoring or editing, click the menu item MODULES from the left-hand course navigation options.
- Click the button +MODULE.
- A configuration window opens asking you to NAME your new module. You may also want or need to add prerequisite module activities before a student is allowed to view this new module.
- Click the button ADD MODULE.
- Your new module is added to the list of course modules.
2. CREATE A PAGE IN YOUR MODULE
A Module itself must contain content parts where the text, multimedia, video, assignments, discussions, etc. reside. The following instructions show how to create a Page in which you will add your video file.
- In your new Module, click the button + to begin adding content parts.
- From the configuration window that opens, select the option CONTENT PAGE from the pull-down list.
- Then select the content item labeled [New Page].
- Name your new page.
- Finally, click the button ADD ITEM.
- In your modules list, your new page appears as part of your new module.
3. BEGIN EDITING OR WRITING YOUR PAGE
It's time to edit the page where you will add your video file.
- For your page, click on the page's NAME to open its contents.
- When the page contents appear, click the button EDIT.
4. UPLOAD YOUR VIDEO TO YOUR "MY MEDIA" PERSONAL MEDIA REPOSITORY IN CANVAS
When in the page-edit-mode, the standard Canvas content editing tool bar appears. Click on the "filmstrip" icon.
- A window will open labeled with "Embed Kaltura Media." You are viewing any media items that currently exist in your MY MEDIA repository.
To learn more about what the MY MEDIA repository is, review this article:
About "My Media" & "Media Gallery"
- In the upper right is a button labeled ADD NEW. Click it.
- A drop down menu contains several options:
- Select the option MEDIA UPLOAD.
- FYI: At the end of uploading files, you will return to the window, "Embed Kaltura Media" where you will select your video file to add to your Page.
After clicking the option MEDIA UPLOAD, a window appears asking you to choose a file to upload.
- Click the button +Choose a file to Upload.
Your computer's hard drive contents are displayed (in whichever manner your Macintosh or Windows-based computer is set up). Navigate to your video file and choose it for upload.
- A progress bar indicates the time to upload the file you selected.
- A confirmation, "Upload Completed" is indicated
- The Name of the file is required, but should already be filled in. Alter the name if needed.
- The Description is optional.
- You may want to add a Tag that indicates the Canvas course in which you are using the uploaded video.
- Do NOT click the SAVE button.
- Instead click the text "BACK TO BROWSE AND EMBED."
Give the system a few seconds to add the video file to your personal collection of media in My Media. The My Media window that lists your content appears, with your uploaded file at the top of the list.
5. SELECT THE VIDEO TO ADD TO YOUR PAGE
- To the right of the video you want to add to your Page, you have two selection choices:
- Click the word SELECT and that file, in its existing size and quality, is added to your Page.
- Click the Downward Pointing Arrow next to the word SELECT and choose a different size for the video you are adding to your Page: LARGE | MEDIUM | SMALL.
- You are returned to the editing functions for your Page. After a moment, a representation of your video file appears. Don't worry that the video's thumbnail is not showing.
6. FINISH COMPOSING THE PAGE AND SAVE
- Add any other images or text content to your page.
- When finished editing, in the lower right, click the button SAVE.
- Your video is now inserted into your Page.
7. DON'T FORGET TO PUBLISH YOUR COURSE
Don't forget to Publish all your Modules/Pages/Learning Activities so the course is available to your students. Once published, your newly uploaded video to your module page is ready for viewing.