To add video to an Assignment in a Canvas course, you have three options. This article discusses OPTION 2-UPLOAD A PRE-EXISTING VIDEO TO MY MEDIA. The other two options have links at the end of this article.
OPTION 2-MEDIA UPLOAD
Upload a pre-existing video stored elsewhere or on your hard drive, and select it to add to your assignment.
BEGIN YOUR VIDEO SUBMISSION TO AN ASSIGNMENT
As part of a module in a Canvas course, the instructor may have included an Assignment in which you are asked to submit a video. In that assignment, click the button labeled SUBMIT ASSIGNMENT.
GO TO MY MEDIA
After clicking the SUBMIT ASSIGNMENT button, a window appears. Be sure the tab heading that is selected for this window is TEXT & MEDIA ENTRY (this is a configuration your instructor has set up). NOTE: In some situations the tab may only be labeled "Text Entry."
The standard Canvas content editing tool bar is available. Cick the FILMSTRIP ICON that resides in the editing tools palette just above the text editing box:
- A window will open labeled with "Embed Kaltura Media" with your personal collection of videos listed for MY MEDIA.
- In the upper right is a button labeled ADD NEW. Click it.
- A drop down menu contains several options:
- Select the option MEDIA UPLOAD.
- FYI: At the end of uploading files, you will return to the window, "Embed Kaltura Media."
UPLOAD YOUR MEDIA
After clicking the option MEDIA UPLOAD, a window appears asking you to choose a file to upload.
- Click the button +Choose a file to Upload.
Your computer's hard drive contents are displayed (in whichever manner your Macintosh or Windows-based computer is set up). Navigate to your video file and choose it for upload.
- A progress bar indicates the time to upload the file you selected.
- A confirmation, "Upload Completed" is indicated
- The Name of the file is required, but should already be filled in. Alter the name if needed.
- The Description is optional.
- You may want to add a Tag that indicates which Canvas course in which you are using the uploaded video.
- Do NOT click the SAVE button.
- Instead click the text "BACK TO BROWSE AND EMBED."
SELECT YOUR VIDEO
Your newly uploaded video now appears at the top of the list in MY MEDIA.
- To the right of a video you want to submit to your assignment, you have two selection choices:
- Click the word SELECT and that file, in its existing size and quality, is added to your Discussion topic.
- Click the Downward Pointing Arrow next to the word SELECT and choose a different size for the video you are adding to a Discussion topic: LARGE | MEDIUM | SMALL.
SUBMIT YOUR VIDEO ASSIGNMENT
Within the text editing box, a representation of your video appears. Don't worry that there is no thumbnail. It will display shortly.
- Click the SUBMIT ASSIGNMENT button.
- The Canvas page will show an alert at the top confirming that your video has been submitted.
- As well, to the right, another confirmation appears showing a checkmark and the words "Turned In!"
You have two other options for adding a video to an Assignment. Use the following links.
If you already have videos in your My Media collection, you can simply select a file and it will be added in your reply to your assignment. (Learn more about My Media.)
Record a video "just-in-time" to add to your assignment. This method uses a Flash-based Webcam Recording Tool that does not require you to install any third-party apps.
You may also be interested in some other recording options, namely screen recording, combination screen + webcam recording, as well as voice recording. Read the following article on how to use these features: